BOTTINEAU – “Tommy Turtle", the world's largest turtle statue, was built here in 1978. He stands 30 feet tall, weighs three tons, and is located at 103 S. 11th Street, in City Park, east of the town center.
BISMARCK – Grant Marsh, pioneer ship captain on the Missouri River is buried here in St. Mary's Cemetery, between Hillview and Avenue D East, and 23rd and 26th. He captained the steamer Far West that carried the dead troops from Little Big Horn to Fort Lincoln He set a steamboat record for the distance, 54 hours.
CASSELTON – D. M. Houston invented roll film for cameras here in 1881 and named it Kodak, a variation of Dakota. He later sold the patent to George Eastman.
CENTER – On March 16, 1920, 15-year-old Hazel Miner a student at a one-room school, died saving her 10-year-old brother, Emmet, and 8-year-old sister, Myrdith, during a spring blizzard here in Center.
After her death, she became a national heroine. Her actions have been celebrated in a folk ballad and in newspaper and magazine articles for nearly 90 years. Hazel is buried in the Center Community Cemetery READ MORE
COOPERSTOWN – An abandoned missile silo near Cooperstown will be demolished by the Air Force in 2007 if the state doesn't take it over. Historic preservationists want the North Dakota legislature to approve the 250-thousand dollars needed so it can be turned into a tourist attraction. They want to call it the "Ronald Reagan Peace Through Strength Missile Silo Historic Site."
DEVILS LAKE – Born here in Devils Lake were: actress Phyllis Frelich in 1944, and baseball player Rick Helling in 1970.
DICKINSON – Actress Dorothy Stickney was born here in 1896.
FARGO – Polly Hamilton Keele, girlfriend of John Dillinger, was born and raised here in Fargo. Polly, 26, was with Dillinger on the night he was shot and killed at the Biograph Theater in Chicago in 1934. Polly died in Chicago in 1969.
u Also born here in Fargo were: sculptor John Bernard Flannagan in 1895, writer William H. Gass in 1924, and singer Bobby Vee in 1943.
u Baseball player Roger Maris and TV commentator Eric Sevareid grew up here.
u Buried here in the Holy Cross Cemetery are:
– Ronald Davies. He was the judge who ordered the integration of Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1957.
– Ken Hunt, baseball pitcher. He played with the California Angels.
– Stan Kostka, football player. He played on the 1934 Minnesota Gophers national championship team.
– Roger Maris, baseball player. A New York Yankee, he held the home run record until Mark McGwire broke it in 1998.
FORT YATES – Indian Chief Sitting Bull was shot in the back of he head by Federal troops while resisting arrest here on December 15, 1890. He was originally buried in Fort Hayes, but his remains were removed in 1954, and transferred to a gravesite overlooking the Missouri River near Mobridge, South Dakota. Twenty tons of concrete were poured over the coffin to prevent it from being stolen. His death led to the massacre of the Sioux at Wounded Knee. ,
u Eight Indian policemen who were killed while arresting Sitting Bull, are buried here in the Catholic Cemetery.
GARRISON – A 15-feet tall statue of a golfer, made out of sheet metal; stands at the entrance of the Garrison City golf course on the south side of ND 37 just east of town.
u Known as the “Walleye Capital of the World, Garrison has a 25-foot fiberglass statue of Wally the Walleye here on Main Street
GRAND FORKS – Born here in Grand Forks were: hockey player Cliff Fido Purpur in 1914, artist James Rosenquist in 1933, baseball player Ken Hunt in 1934, and singer Lynn Anderson in 1947.
HARVEY – Artist Ivan Dmitri was born here in 1900.
HAZELTON – Hazelton, a south central North Dakota farming community of about 240 people, is doing its best to stay on the map. The city leaders began running ads in November 2005 offering families up to two free lots and $20,000 toward home purchases if they move here. Businesses are offered free lots and up to $50,000 for setting up shop in town. Hazelton is about 35 miles southeast of Bismarck.
HICKSON – Highway 46 between Hickson and Streeter is the longest straight road in the world. It runs for 123 miles.
JAMESTOWN – Born here in Jamestown were: author Louis L'Amour in 1908, singer Peggy Lee in 1920, TV personality Shadoe Stevens in 1946, and baseball player Darrin Erstad in 1974.
u The world’s largest buffalo statue is located here in Jamestown. Erected in 1959, it is 46-feet long, 14-feet wide, 26-feet high, and weighs 60 tons. To find him, take Exit 258 off of Interstate 94,
Proceed north on Highway 281 for 3 blocks, Turn right at the stoplight and follow the road east for seven blocks.
KULM – Actress Angie Dickinson was born here in 1931.
MANDAN – General George A. Custer and his troops were stationed here at Fort McKeen (Fort Abraham) when he led them to the Little Big Horn massacre. The fort, now reconstructed, is six miles south of town, off Highway 1806. It is reported that Custer haunts the rebuilt Custer House were he lived before Little Big Horn. GO THERE
MANITOU – In 2005, Evelyn Halvorson was the lone resident of this once-busy community. All that remains of the town located adjacent to the old Great Northern Railway tracks 12 miles west of Stanley is the Manitou Consolidated School, a few assorted foundations, a crumpled old mobile home, a once stately but rapidly decaying old house and Halvorson's residence. The 81-year old Halvorson was raised on a farm about four miles northeast of Manitou and moved to the town proper in 1947. Halvorson's husband died in an accident in the winter of 1969, leaving her with the task of raising 10 children. Her last child moved from Manitou just more than five years ago. Since that time Halvorson has been Manitou's only resident.
MEDORA – When Riley Luffsey, a young man around town, taunted the founder of Medora, The Marquis de Mortes in 1885, the Marquis shot and killed him. The Marquis, a Frenchman who was noted as being anti-Semitic and snobbish, was never arrested. Luffsey is buried here in the town graveyard.
u Cowboy actor Tom Mix and Olive Stokes were married here in 1909.
u Teddy Roosevelt owned the Elkhorn Ranch near here in the 1880s. It is now the Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park.
u Teddy Roosevelt stayed at the Roughriders Hotel when he was in town.
MERRICOURT – Merricourt is home to three monuments remembering the day U.S. troops under the command of Gen. Alfred Sully attacked an American Indian hunting camp in the vicinity, killing nearly 300 Indians while suffering only 20 fatal casualties. Various historians consider the battle more of a mass execution, noting that the Indians involved were not the Santee Sioux marauders who killed hundreds of white settlers in western Minnesota during the 1860s, but simply innocent bystanders. One monument spotlights the Caucasian casualties of the clash, one takes both sides, and one calls the engagement the "greatest massacre in North Dakota history."
NEW SALEM – Situated on School Hill between the city of New Salem and I-94 Highway, the statue of Sue the cow (38 feet high and 50 feet long) is visible for 5 miles. It was built for the New Salem Lions Club. The total cost of the project was approximately $40,000 contributed by dairymen, farmers, businessmen, dairy industry and residents of the area. It's purpose is to honor and advertise the dairymen of our area, their superior herds and the production of high quality milk.
ROLLA – Actor Arthur Peterson was born here in 1938.
RUGBY – The geographic center of North America is 15 miles southwest of Rugby. A monument stands on the southeast corner of the intersection of Highway 2 & 3.
u Clifford Thompson, aka the "Scandinavian Giant" and "Count Olav," was born in nearby Silva in 1903. Thompson was one of the tallest humans in the world, standing 8'7" in his bare feet, which needed size 22 shoes. He weighed 460 pounds. Pioneer Village and Museum here, features a true-to-life mannequin of Thompson wearing a business suit and a fedora. The mannequin is billed as the "World's Tallest Salesman."
SCRANTON – Former Secretary of State, William Christopher was born here in 1925.
SHAFER – In February of 1930, Charles Bannon slaughtered six members of the A. E. Haven family on the Haven farm near here where he worked as a farm hand. After he buried the bodies in the barn, he continued to live on the farm for nine months. When the bodies were found, he was charged with murder and locked up in the Schafer jail. In February of 1931, Bannon was taken by a mob from the jail and lynched. Schafer faded into obscurity after the county seat was moved to nearby Watford City. The old jail is still there in Schafer.
.(See Williston for more details)
SOURIS – Bandleader Tommy Tucker was born here in 1908.
STRASBURG – Bandleader Lawrence Welk was born herein in Strasburg in 1903. His boyhood home here has been restored. GO THERE
SYKESTON – Writer Larry Woiwode was born here in 1941.
TOWNER – Lawyer and songwriter Leo Killion was born here in 1908. He wrote the song The Hut Sut Song.
VALLEY CITY – Actress Ann Sothern was born here in 1909 (1912?).
VELVA – Newsman Eric Sevareid was born here in 1912.
WASHBURN – The Lewis and Clark expedition spent the winter of 1804-1805 at Fort Madan near Washburn.
WAHPETON – Known as the “Catfish Capital of the World,” Wahpeton is home to ”Wahpper,” the world’s largest catfish statue. "Wahpper" is 40-feet long.
WHITE EARTH – Hedvig "Sammy" Samuelson one of the murder victims of Winnie Ruth Judd in 1931, was buried near here on her families wheat farm. Hedvig, 24, was killed by Judd in Arizona who then cut her body apart, put them in a trunk, then shipped by train to Los Angeles.
WILLISTON – Basketball coach Phil Jackson grew up here.
u Charles Bannon, 22-year-old farm hand, confessed on December 12, 1930, that he killed the entire Haven family in 1929 after a quarrel starting over farm chores. He then buried their bodies on the farm.
Bannon worked for the Havens on and off as a farm hand. One day, while milking cows in the barn, Bannon and two of the Haven boys, 19-year old Daniel and 16-year-old Leland, got Into a scuffle. Bannon, who was known to have had a short temper, pulled a rifle from the saddle on his horse and shot Daniel. Reportedly frightened, he also shot Leland.
After hearing the gunshots, Albert Haven went to the barn, where he was also shot. It Is reported that Bannon then went to the house and stabbed Mrs. Haven about 15 times before killing her and her 3-year-old son Charles (who was named after Bannon) and an Infant.
During the following days, Bannon buried the family In various sites. The reports are that Bannon cut Mrs. Haven Into pieces, because she was too heavy to carry outside.
The murders were not brought out until almost one year later. After making up numerous stories, Bannon finally confessed to the murders. Bannon was taken to the nearby Schafer jail to await trial.
On the night of January 29, 1931. A mob of 75, battered down the front door of the jail and overpowered a Deputy. Using timbers, they broke down the jail door and grabbed Bannon. They took Bannon to the bridge over Cherry Creek, a half-mile east of the jail. Bannon was pushed over the side of the bridge with a noose around his neck. The other end was tied to the bridge.
Bannon is buried in the Riverside Cemetery in Williston.
The Haven Family is buried in the Schafer Cemetery.
MORE DETAILS AND PHOTOs HERE
MORE PHOTOS HERE
READ FULL CONFESSION HERE